Friday, April 10, 2015

Sports, scoreboards I do not understand, continuous shutters...oh my!

The Wayne State University men's baseball team takes the field for a game against Grand Valley State University.
Kyle Zimmerman prepares to hit the ball.
Bradley Baldwin touches third base before continuing to home.
     I don't do the whole sports thing.
     I was raised in a hockey house, and that was it. Sports have never held an interest for me, so trust the quote, “This assignment is going to hurt” is true when I speak them.
     Wayne State men’s baseball started on April 3 with a double-header, and the next day was the same. I planned to attend one of the days, weather depending, and had to ask a 17-year-old coworker what a double-header was.
     Yeah, I’m that bad.
     Shooting the actual game wasn’t bad, though I applaud the people who do this for a living. I had my camera set to continuous because I knew I wouldn’t get any good shots if I relied on my finger to move quickly. I walked away with 749 photos, which was, in my opinion, too many. I’m a rookie and it shows.
     Getting the right position to shoot was one of the biggest obstacles I had to tackle. I moved around and finally found a solid position to the right of home plate. The only issue was I had to hold my camera very steady because I was shooting at the fence and had to keep that little fact low key. Some of the pictures were ruined, at least to me, because I shifted. You can see the edge of the fence in the corners.
     I wouldn’t say this was a bad experience but this was definitely difficult. Finding a sports game during this time frame was the hardest part. My hometown teams were in Benton Harbor, Mich. for state finals, the Wayne State basketball teams were in Florida, so I had to wait until April for the Wayne State baseball team to come to campus. By the time I was at the game and taking the photos, I think I was so relieved to finally be taking the photos that being at a sports game that I don’t understand didn’t even bother me.
      For the record, I had to text my dad to ask him how to read the scoreboard. I seriously don’t see the point of keeping the hits on the board if it doesn’t count toward the score. It’s distracting for weak sport minds like myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment