Friday, June 5, 2015

Coming soon: college student versus gardening

     One of the fun things about being on summer vacation is not having to rush to and from school. With all that free time, what should I do?
Spearmint in the herb garden.
     Start a garden!
     I've noticed an increasing interest in home gardening and people seem to get a real kick out of growing there own herbs and vegetables instead of making the trip to a grocery store. For the passed few years, my mother has kept an herb garden on our deck and I've learned some things about gardening.
Lavender in the herb garden.
     First, sometimes you just get a bad plant. Usually our basil plants have thrived to the point of not knowing what to do with all the basil leaves we cut off but last year the basil plant slumped. We hadn't done anything different from previous years either and in the past we've had difficulty with one or two plants out of the bunch. Sometimes it's really isn't you, it's them.
     Second, over/under watering. Feeling the soil is key. If it's too dry then water it but if it stays damp for a few days then you shouldn't drown the poor things.
     Third, beetles. I have come to view beetles the same way an old lady views the pesky neighborhood kids who walk across her lawn; they don't belong and I'm not responsible for the way I act if I see them.
     According to the drawer of certificates and the amount of chords I'll be wearing when I graduate from college, I'm perfectly capable of keeping a garden without killing it. I know this is going to be more difficult than the small herb garden on the deck but I'm mentally prepared for this.
     I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment